Thursday, June 21, 2007

Books and Stories

Catch up with my reading:

I finished About A Boy on my way to St. Luey and Ava's Man on the way back. Blogged about both on Heartwarming Stories. Now I'm reading An Hour Before Sunrise by Jimmy Carter. I'm all about the presidential biographies these days.

On to more dramatic tales.... Quick! Name 3 ways to die in a gas station parking lot!
  1. Fire during a gasoline fight
  2. Shot by a Capulet
  3. Run over by a getaway car

I didn't die in any of these ways. But I did almost die twice.

  1. As I crossed the parking lot to buy a soda an old man pulled out of his parking space and made no attempt to not hit me. I had to leap out of the way in heels. And even after I cleared the initial danger zone he just kept backing up, much further than neccessary to leave the space. So I keep walking further and further back and the whole time he keeps his eyes glued forward, never glances back once to check for cute pedestrians.
  2. This one was weirder. As I head for the driveway there is a towtruck hitching up to a brokendown jeep. The towtruck driver has hopped out of the cab to check something, left the engine running, the door open. About the time I pull behind these two to exit the lot, the entire operation starts rolling towards me. Because the driver failed to put her in Park. So now I'm sandwiched between a car waiting for traffic to pull into the road, a car waiting for a pump behind me and a towtruck/jeep monster that is rolling towards me faster and faster. Luckily the driver notices that his stuff is on the move and runs and jumps into the cab as the car in front of me hangs a left onto the road. I gun it and clear the truck's path just before the driver gets it all under control.

So I didn't die. But I totally could have. The Esso station is dangerous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very worried about your Canadian karma. Have you ever offended a Mountie? Please be very careful!